Dinner Ideas with Pork from Colorado Craft Butchers - Support Local Food
As a retail outlet in the food world, we are so lucky that we are able to remain open and serve you. We are also fortunate that we get to support small producers that are dealing with decreased restaurant business and instead bring their items into our shop.
Today we are featuring Colorado Craft Butchers. This local butcher was born out of the intention to offer nose-to-tail, sustainable butchering and meat sourcing. They work closely with small farms and ranches in Colorado and surrounding states, focusing on connecting farmers and consumers. Unfortunately, they have lost a lot of their business with restaurants being closed, but we can still support their efforts by carrying their cuts in our shop.
We currently carry diced Mangalitsa pork, ground Mangalitsa pork, and Wagyu Ground Chuck, which can be ordered online. Their steaks, pork chops and sausages are also available in the shop, please call to order these cuts so that we can set aside the perfect size for you.
Check out two recipe ideas below or grab a recipe kit for pork tacos. All the items for this recipe are together in one kit in our shop. Give us a call or place an order online for pickup or delivery and we will have it ready for you quickly so that you can avoid spending time outside of your home.
Be sure to use the code "SHOPLOCAL" at checkout for 5% off of your order and we will donate 10% to local charities supporting the food industry.
One of Colorado Craft Butchers favorite ways to enjoy their pork is in this green chili recipe:
Pork Green Chili
1 package diced pork or ground pork
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large jar roasted hatch chilis
2 tsp cumin
2 cups pork or chicken stock
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 to 2 limes
salt, to taste
- Season pork with cumin and salt. Sear the pork in a heavy-bottomed saucepan or stock pot, coated with a small amount of oil. Once meat is browned, remove from pan and place on paper towels.
- Add onion and a little more oil if there isn’t enough fat in there. Turn heat to low and caramelize onions gently, stirring frequently. You are looking for a deep brown caramelization on the onions. Once you’ve achieved this, add the garlic and cook for a minute or 2 while stirring.
- Add chiles, cilantro, and stock. Blend until smooth with immersion blender or in small batches in a large blender. Add pork and simmer for an hour or so. Season with salt/cumin/lime juice.
- Serve with sour cream, cheese, more cilantro, tortilla chips, and beer.
This is Jon's tried and true carne adovada recipe:
~3 lbs pork butt or country ribs (cut into 2 inch chunks)
1/4 cup flour
Red Chile powder, garlic powder, salt
2 tbsps red wine or cider vinegar
16oz jar Los Roast Red Chile Sauce
1 quart brown stock or chicken stock
1. Preheat the oven to 350
2. Combine Flour with dry spices in a shallow dish, meanwhile heat a Dutch oven over med-high heat
3. Dredge pork pieces in the flour mixture and add to the pan, cook in batches leaving space so the meat will brown
4. Brown on all sides and remove to a bowl when cooked
5. Deglaze the pan with vinegar and scrape the bottom with a wooden spatula, and the the red Chile sauce and the meat with juices
6. Add enough stock to nearly cover the mea (reserve excess) stir well and move to the preheated oven
7. Cook uncovered in at 250 for 2-3 hours, stirring about every hour and adding more stock if it gets too dry
8. The meat should be fall apart soft, browned on the top and the sauce should have thickened to almost a paste
9. Remove from the oven and let rest in the pot for 10-20 minutes while you warm tortillas and prepare the other items
We like to serve on Bolder Blue Corn Tortillas with grated manchego cheese, creme fraiche and fresh tomato salsa
Boost Your Immune System with Real Roots
While you’re at home, you might as well be working on your immune system! We have fresh Real Roots in the shop, each ginger turmeric bottle helps cleanse the body, boosts immune system functions and improves circulation. With each purchase, you’ll be supporting Real Roots, a small, local business that we love carrying in our shop.
You can place an order with minimal contact by using our delivery or pickup services. Give us a call or place an order on our website. Enjoy 15% off with code TOGO.
Besides taking regular shots of this good stuff to keep our bodies strong, it’s also great stirred into a bowl of oatmeal. Simply combine with your oats + 3 oz Ginger Turmeric Shot + 3 oz milk + 2 tablespoons sugar.
Or blend it up into a mood-boosting smoothie of spinach, milk, walnuts, banana, and their Ginger Turmeric. If you're a chai tea fan, try their golden recipe with 4oz chai tea, 2oz of milk and 2oz of their Ginger Turmeric goodness. And let’s be real, it also makes for a great cocktail mixer for your next virtual happy hour.
Real Roots is a community company that believes we are all in this together and they can bring you health on your journey.
- Shop Staff
- Tags: real roots
Irish Bacon is Now in Stock!
What is Irish bacon anyway? It's bacon made from the back, rather than the belly, of the pig. Often serve in Ireland and Great Britain, we're bringing this in from Jolly Posh, made in the US, but using the same methods as they do in Europe.
Back bacon is somewhere between typical American belly bacon and Canadian bacon. It's not as fatty as belly bacon, but not as lean as Canadian bacon. It's juuuuuust right!
Jolly Posh's bacon is hand-trimmed, hand-rubbed and dry-cured.
Each 8 oz pack contains approximately 6-8 slices (“rashers”) of back-bacon. This back-bacon is fabulous as part of a traditional Full English breakfast, makes an amazing B.L.T, and is a brilliant ingredient in quiche, spaghetti carbonara and soups.
Made with prime pork loin raised without hormones
80% less fat than regular American bacon
Blast frozen to seal in freshness and quality
Free of MSG
Grab a pack in our shop or give us a call or shoot us an email to have a pack shipped to you! Remember to use the code TOGO for 15% off your order.
Farm Fresh Eggs are In!
We have farm fresh eggs in from our friends at High Plains Poultry! Many small producers and farmers depend on local schools and restaurants to sell their goods to. Since we have the luxury of being open, we are trying to help as many producers as we can by getting their goods to you all. Besides, it sounds like the big box stores are out of eggs anyway. Come get some so that we can order more from High Plains!
- Shop Staff
- Tags: eggs
An Update for Our Community
- Shop Staff
New Pantry Items: Falafel, Golden Milk & Lily Pops
We have some new items in the shop that we are excited about!
Truffle & Salt Lily Pops
If you love truffle like we do, you'll love these pops. Made from popped water lily seeds, these fun snacks are baked to crispy perfection and topped with Ritrovo truffle salt.
For those of you who have had Baba's Falafel at their food truck, you already know how delicious their chickpea-fava cakes are. You can now find them in our freezer section! They make for a great, quick dinner any day of the week.
This flavorful spice blend features turmeric, an ancient Ayurvedic spice, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, and ginger. Not only are these known for healing properties, but they make for a bold flavor combo that will awaken your senses.
These items will be coming to our online store soon!