How to Choose an Olive Oil
- Colli Etruschi Tuschia DOP Extra Virgin Olive Oil is an award-winning oil that always scores high from graders and guides. This Italian cooperative producer is probably our favorite on the market and always produces great oils. The DOP Tuscia is there reserve oil made with the best crops of the year, it has grassy artichoke notes and a hint of acidity. Drizzle it over any dish that could use some brightening, like a creamy pasta or soup.
- Decemi #51 Slow Food Presidio Olive Oil is a rare Umbrian olive oil that is a Slow Food item, numbered with its year of harvest. With nutty, elegant notes, it's a true stunner with a green peppercorn finish to its grassiness. A bottle for the finest dishes or simply served with fresh bread.
- Les Terroirs de Marrakech Olive Oil comes from Marrakech and is well-balanced, starting with herbal, fruity notes and finishing with a distinct black pepper tickle.
- Philippos Hellenic Goods Organic Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil is of course organic and has low acidity, it is smooth and approachable.
- The Spanish oil we have in the shop, L'Estornell Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil has a greener hue with fresh vegetal notes and a mild spicy finish. Great for cooking or dressing a salad.
Check out all of our olive oils HERE.
Thoughtful, Delicious Gifts For Mom
Easy Seafood Ideas for Lent and Beyond
What are conservas exactly? Conservas are tinned or canned fish and they can make your meal prep a breeze. The average can of tuna on a typical shelf is nothing special, BUT just like there are artisans curing salami, there are special preserved seafood creations too, made by masters of the craft. In Europe, conservas are a part of the culture, it's time we embrace it too.
In places like Spain, conservas are often served simply, with bread, fresh greens and wine, but here are some other ways to enjoy the artisan seafood we carry:
- Cantabrian anchovy and tuna pate or Mouttes d'Arvor scallop rillettes served with crackers and olives.
- We just picked up a canned lobster from Scout Canning CO, it's nothing like the imitation stuff and gives us a taste of the coast. Serve simply with bread, crème fraiche and any herbs you have on hand.
- Branzino stirred into room-temp Fregola pasta, served as a salad tossed with your best EVOO, salted capers, lemon zest, and black pepper.
- Make a cozy, quick pasta dish with Espinaler Sardines and sautéed tomatoes and garlic. Try this recipe.
- Ritrovo tuna with calabrian chile mixed with Kewpie mayo and chopped cornichons served on a baguette.
- High quality Wildfish Cannery King Salmon served on pullman toast with herb chèvre and sliced cucumbers.
Let us know which recipe idea strikes your fancy and we will have your order packed up for you for pick-up or shipping. Or come shop our conservas selection in the store!
It's Fondue Season!
- Jon Marsh
- Tags: fondue
Super Snack Ideas for the Big Game
A grazing board of cheese and charcuterie is always a good choice for game day. Stop by the shop this weekend to pick one up or order online to have your order ready to go.
In the mood for something different? Here are 3 of our favorite easy snack ideas:
#1. Soft Pretzels and Queso
Colorado-made On Tap Kitchen's Soft Pretzels are quick, easy and delicious. They are great warmed in the oven or our favorite way to enjoy is with Leigh Olivers White Hot Queso dip, pictured above.
#2 Ultimate Popcorn with Truffle and Parmesan
Casina Rossa Truffle Salt & Cheese is a blend of seal salt, black truffle and dried Parmigiano Reggiano. Add it to fresh popcorn that’s lightly coated with melted butter or olive oil for the best popcorn you’ve ever tasted
A new addition at St. Kilian’s, Arepas Point Venezuelan-style corn arepas are a great vessel for all kinds of snacks. Our personal favorite is Italian Sausage, provolone and peppers. New Italian style peppers in Jar from Monteleone are a great addition to Lonardo’s sausage or your favorite protein, stuff them all inside a fresh cooked Arepas. Grab the arepas in our shop or order online here.
Want a few other easy idea?
We love Sweet Grass Dairy's Pimento Cheese, made with an award-winning tomme cheese. Or Cream City Market's classic curds.
Flatirons Food Film Festival: Craft Chocolate Pairing
- Shop Staff
- Tags: chocolate